Tom Petrocelli's take on technology. Tom is the author of the book "Data Protection and Information Lifecycle Management" and a natural technology curmudgeon. This blog represents only my own views and not those of my employer, Enterprise Strategy Group. Frankly, mine are more amusing.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Tripping Over Myself to Talk about TripIt

I travel a fair amount. Keeping those trips organized is a huge time suck. Just getting all the pieces of my itinerary into one place, printing maps, and making sure I have my schedule down takes a lot of time and effort. That is until I discovered TripIt. A free web service, you e-mail all the itineraries and reservations that you typically get from travel agents and websites and it organizes it into a full view of your trip.

But wait. There's more! Once the itinerary is created, TripIt displays buttons to call up maps, directions, on-line check-in and flight information. It becomes a dashboard for your whole trip. You can also add meetings and other parts of your trip manually to get a complete picture.

The downside? TripIt only understands standard formats used by travel agents, airlines, major hotels, and car rental companies. When I e-mailed the site a reservation from a small Bed and Breakfast, it couldn't figure out what it was. It isn't fair to expect that the software behind TripIt can understand every way that a small B&B may e-mail a reservation.

Overall, this is one of the best and most useful travel tools I've ever worked with. I'm glad I tripped over it.

No comments: